Reporting to the Manager, the psychologist within the team is responsible for the provision of psychological assessment, consultation and treatment services. The psychologist also provides an educational role in assisting clients to better understand the differences between acute and chronic pain and the various effective strategies for managing pain and disability.
Additionally the Psychologist will advise on best practices and will ensure that the rehabilitation and assessment services at OrionHealth are scientifically based and grounded in current research in the field of psychological practice. The Psychologist will enhance OrionHealth’s status as a leader in unlocking the potential in people and in the development of innovative practice.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Direct Psychology Services
- Provides psychological assessment services as part of an interdisciplinary assessment process.
- Facilitates orientation, counselling, and education to clients as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Facilitates group therapy psychoeducational sessions
- Provides individualized psychological treatment as indicated.
- Contributes to the team in the form of case management input and direction pertaining to initial assessment, treatment planning, progress evaluation and recommendations, and discharge planning.
- Contributes to the formulation of quality interdisciplinary reports.
- Contributes to regular case conference and meetings with the referral source, facilitating negotiations and providing conflict resolution as appropriate.
- Provides orientation and mentoring to assist other team members to effectively manage clients’ psychosocial issues.
Program design and research
- Designs and implements programmes designed to assist clients to modify and improve coping skills and pain and disability-related behaviors.
- Evaluates the efficacy of treatments or programmes
- Selects and administers psychological tests that are designed to assess and predict cognitive and emotional functioning
- Reviews and recommends standardized tests for implementation.
- In consultation with the Director develop and implement research projects to enhance the profile of OrionHealth within the Psychology community.
- Assessment and reporting (written and verbal to the referral source).
- Consultation with other professionals (psychology advisors, external psychologists and psychiatrists, medical, legal, physiotherapist, occupational therapist, vocational consultant and pharmacist).
- Provides input to report template revisions and designs
- Provides in-services to appropriate staff with the goal to improve individual and team service delivery
- Maintains and develops self management client group.
- Provides input to program development process.
- Provides orientation and supervision to new psychologists and psychology interns.
- Treatment role:
- Chair or participant in case reviews.
- Consults with team members regarding each client’s needs.
- Communicates to other community health care personnel information about OrionHealth programs.
- Prepares and updates annual goals/objectives as per Program Evaluation.
- Participates in Quality Management activities.
- Doctorate degree in Clinical Psychology or related field in Psychology (e.g., Counselling Psychology)
- Registered or eligible for registration with the College of Psychologists of British Columbia
- Five years assessment, treatment, and consultation expertise and experience working with a chronic pain population and techniques in pain management counselling.
- Experience working in an interdisciplinary team setting.
- Able to communicate complex and well-reasoned and defendable ideas.
Apply in confidence to: firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the position and clinic location in the subject line of the e-mail.